I’ve not had dates slices for years. My Grandma use to make them from dates off her tree on the farm. These date slices are naturally sweet, they contain no refined sugar and are packed full of fibre, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients – something traditional date slices or shop bought processed version can’t boast. As a result, they won’t leave you craving your next sweet hit 1 hour later. I perfected these delicious treat just in time for the birth of my baby girl. In fact it was the evening before her arrival so they provided me with a nutritious energy hit day and night in those first few blurry days!
All you need
250g pitted dates
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp of 1 lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
120 ml water
1/4 tsp salt
300g ground almond
30g desiccated coconut
3 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tbs baking soda
1/4 tbs salt
40g coconut oil
3 tbsp water
1/3 of the base mix above
50g flaked almonds
75g broken or chopped walnuts
All you do
1) Pre-heat the oven at 180C. Grease and line a 9 inch square baking tin.
2) Combine all the date filling ingredients in a pan. Slowly cook the filling on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the dates have softened, the liquid has evaporated and you’re left with a soft gooey mixture. You may have to mash the dates will a fork to help them break up and mix. Leave the filling to cool.
3) Add all the base ingredients except for the water to a mixing bowl. Using your fingers rub the butter and coconut oil into the dry mix until it make breadcrumbs.
4) Remove 1/3 of the crumble mix and set to one side for use in the crumble
5) To the remaining base mix slowly add the water and combine until it makes a dough/pastry (you may not need all the water). With your hands or the back of a spoon press the base into the bottom of the baking tin. Be firm.
6) Spread the date filling across the base, trying to keep it as even as possible.
7) Take the remaining crumble mix and combine with the flaked almonds and walnuts. If you prefer a chunkier crumble add a little water to the crumble mix before combining with the nuts. Spread and gently press the crumble over the top of the date mix.
8) Place in the oven for 30-40minutes or until it’s golden brown on top.
9) Allow to cool and then place it in the fridge over night before cutting into slices.